Delta Farmland and Wildlife Trust (DF&WT) is presenting its 5th annual “A Day at the Farm” event giving communities throughout the Lower Mainland the opportunity to reconnect with the land that feeds them.
Saturday, September 11th, 2010
Westham Island Herb Farm & Ellis Farm
10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Contest judging begins at 12:00 noon
Visitors will learn about agricultural products grown and produced locally, particularly those grown in the Lower Mainland, and about internationally significant wildlife habitat and its relationship with agriculture in this area.
By raising awareness about the nature and importance of agriculture, DF&WT hopes to inspire the greater community to support local agriculture and raise awareness about the non-market environmental service it provides.
Highlights of the event include:
- Titanic Tomato Contest – Attendees are invited to bring along a home–grown tomato to enter, with prizes awarded for the biggest and most interesting tomato
- An old fashioned canning and preserving competition
- BC Dairy Foundation’s mobile dairy classroom which will be giving live milking demonstrations
- Hay-wagon tours led by 3rd generation farmer Gordon Ellis
- Static farm equipment display including antique tractors, grain combines and Delta’s largest tractor
- Livestock displays including sheep, calves, hens, donkeys, goats, draft horses and a Highland steer
The Agora String Band will play bluegrass music throughout the day. Locally made food and produce will be on sale as well as many giveaways.